Friday, January 24, 2014

APOD 3.2

The APOD for this week that I chose depicts the double cluster celestial object found in the Perseus constellation. I chose it because I remember the Perseus constellation from the weekly quizzes and I also remember it is Mr. Percival's favorite constellation. This picture goes under the category of Astrophotography which I also thought was pretty cool. This APOD entry says that this starfield stretches seven full mons (3.5 degrees) across Perseus, which I think is pretty impressive because I was not aware of its massive extension. One thing I learned about the clusters themselves is that they are 7000 light years away and the stars are much hotter and younger than the sun. The entry also speaks about the clusters' age which are around 13 million years old. The most interesting thing I found about this entry was that the cluster is apparently visible to the naked eye under the right conditions. I hope to be able to identify it as I continue to look up and observe the skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment