Friday, March 14, 2014

APOD 3.8

This week's APOD is titled Glubules in the Running Chicken Nebula. The title was interesting so that's why I picked. This nebula is named after it's shape. The image was taken from an observatory in Australia called the Siding Spring Observatory. The globules in the nebula are called Thackeray's Globules (pictured below). These globules referred to as egg are potential sites for the gravitational condensation of new stars. I thought this was a pretty since we just recently learned about the formation of stars so I  understand how it occurs. I also decided to choose this APOD because I was able to see the chicken head and found it amusing. I am also intrigued by the visualization of nebulas in photos. I find it very impressive we can see them and photograph them with the telescopes we have.


No comments:

Post a Comment